Mechanical Engineer - Senior
Develops design concepts for new mechanical systems and modifications to aircraft; provides oversight for Engineers and Designers as they convert the design concept into a mechanical design; develops a data package which typically contains; detailed parts drawings, assembly drawings, installation drawings, drawing trees, parts lists and Engineering Change Orders utilizing Solidworks (or other) CAD software; utilizes Product Data Manager software system (currently DbWorks) to control the configuration of designs; and develops Structural Analysis reports, Risk Assessment Reports, and other documents as required to show compliance with the regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- 30% - Performs the role of a Cognizant Engineer on projects requiring understanding of complex projects and coordination with other Stakeholders.
- 25% - Develops mechanical; design concepts and drawing packages for repairs, alteration and/or modifications to aircraft using Solidworks CAD program.
- 15% - Performs and validates structural analysis using NASTRAN or traditional hand analysis methods.
- 10% - Mentors Engineers and Designers during complex design projects.
- 10% - Researches material and part specifications and selection through vendor, engineer and regulatory documentation.
- 5% - Assigns numbers and titles to drawings, enters into and updates master drawing list, and makes updates to drawings based on engineering change orders.
- 5% - Assists Certification Engineers and DERs in establishing Certification Plans.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- BS degree in Mechanical, Civil, Structural or Aeronautical Engineering with 5+ years of Engineering Design and/or Analysis experience in the aviation field. Master’s degree with 3+ years of Engineering Design and/or Analysis experience in the aviation field.
- Experience of structural testing, mechanical system testing, propulsion system testing and/or flight test of rotorcraft is required.
- In depth Knowledge of Aircraft Structures, Mechanical Systems, Propulsion Systems, and/or Rotorcraft Flying Qualities is desired
- Working understanding of FAA Certification process is required, specifically 14 CFR Part 21, 29, and 43.
- Experience of working within an AS9100 accredited Quality System
- 5 years’ experience using CAD programs, preferably Solidworks
- Familiarity with Aircraft Structures or Mechanical Systems is desired
- Familiarity with PDM software is strongly desired
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, Solidworks, DbWorks, NASTRAN and use of the internet for technical research
- Excellent technical and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to be able to present ideas, concepts and proposals with a wide range of audiences at all levels, technical and non-technical, internal and external
- Conduct oneself in accordance with Company’s Core Values
- Must meet International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) as a U.S. Person
To apply, submit a resume with cover letter indicating the specific position you are applying for by e-mail, fax, or mail to:
Columbia Helicopters, Inc.
Human Resources Department
PO Box 3500
Portland, Oregon 97208
503-678-6985 (dedicated HR Fax)
**If you have applied for other positions within the last 60 days, please indicate all of the positions you have applied for, and your preference of consideration. We will consider applicants for ONE position at a time.
Pre-employment drug testing and background check is required for all positions.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Position is opened until 6/21/13.